Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Future of Opera?

Happened to catch this story in the British paper The Guardian. The Royal Opera House is looking for talented film-makers to produce a version of Romeo and Juliet. The catch: The film can only be 40-seconds long! It's true! The short, which can be filmed with camcorder or--get this!--cell phone camera can be uploaded to the Royal Opera House's YouTube site and voted on. The most popular entry will be featured all over England in a set of advertisements promoting the Royal Ballet's production of R&J.

I mean, there's the popular Complete Abridged Works of William Shakespeare play, but this is a whole 'nother level! This is like The Inquirer's version of the Reader's Digest version of R&J as edited by producers from MTV! How comprehensive can you be in 40 seconds? Sorry, that's "up to 40 seconds." It could be shorter!

I think I can give a shot at the script. Feel free to borrow and adapt this for your entry. I'm not entering. I never can hold my cameraphone steady enough.

----------

Romeo (to Juliet): You looked really sexy in your nightie on that balcony.

Juliet: You're kind of Studville yourself in those tights. Is that a sword in your pocket? Or...

Romeo (interrupting): But our families hate each other.

Juliet: Yeah, and you killed my bro, dude.

Romeo: Sorry 'bout that. Let's run off together.

Juliet: Great idea!

Lord Capulet (to Juliet): As if! You're marrying Paris!

Juliet: I'd just as soon fake my own suicide.

Friar Lawrence (to Juliet): Seriously? Here, drink this.

Juliet: I'm sleepy.... (nods off).

Romeo: Did you say you were dying? Then I'll die, too! (Takes poison, dies.)

Juliet (rousing herself): What? Romeo's dead. Alas! (Stabs herself, dies.)

Capulets, and Montagues: How sad. Let's not fight anymore.

----------

Yeah, you're probably right. Too long for the contest and the YouTube generation. But, maybe, if I get LonelyGirl15 and the "Leave Britney alone!" guy to play the leads...

No comments: